Back in 2018, Heartland Boy had previously written an article on how to maximise the cashback on the UOB One Credit Card. And that was before the crazy period of double-dipping with the GrabPay wallet- a strategy touted endlessly on forums. When top-ups made to the Grab wallet was eventually nerfed, it made some cardholders gave up on the card. However, Heartland Boy thinks that the UOB One Card still holds plenty of promise, with additional cashback awarded to Grab transactions (exclude mobile wallet top up) and SP bills. Here is Heartland Boy’s review on how to get additional cashback with UOB One Card, to be read in conjunction with his previous article to realize the full potential of this credit card.
1. Up to 10% Cashback on Grab
There has been plenty of confusion about the cashback rate on Grab transactions ever since UOB pulled the plug on the Additional Rebate awarded for Grab mobile wallet top-ups. To set the record straight, Heartland Boy thinks it is best to illustrate with examples
- Order GrabFood and pay with UOB One Card- 5% additional rebate + a further 3.33%-5% cash rebate. Eligible transaction that counts towards minimum spend
- Order Grab Rides and pay with UOB One Card- 5% additional rebate + a further 3.33%-5% cashback. Eligible transaction that counts towards minimum spend
- Top up Grab mobile wallet with UOB One Card- 0% additional rebate + 0% cashback and transaction DOES NOT count towards minimum spend. In other words, Grab top up has been added into the list of exclusions
Therefore, the good news is that one can still use the UOB One Card to enjoy bonus cashback on the Grab platform simply by paying directly with the card. What has been eradicated is the double dipping effect of enjoying bonus cashback from UOB One Card and rewards from GrabPay (eg: using GrabPay to pay for insurance premiums on the AXS machine- that was undeniably good while it lasted!).
2. Get up to 6% cashback on SP Bill
Most recently, Seedly did a very useful comparison to illustrate the best credit cards utilities bills in Singapore 2020 since >80% of the population is now working from home. Amongst all the credit cards, the UOB One Card emerged top by awarding up to 6% cashback on Singapore Power (‘SP’) bills. 6% cashback is based on the additional 1% cashback + 5% cashback for meeting $2,000 eligible spending per month within a qualifying quarter.
Heartland Boy uses his UOB One Card to pay his Singapore Power bills (mainly water, gas, refuse collection and not electricity since he has switched out) via the SP Utilities App.
Do also note that there is a cap of S$100 per statement month on the additional rebate.
3. The Dining Advisor
The Dining Advisor served up by UOB Cards collates all the food & beverage promotions and deals such as 1-for-1, takeaway discounts etc. It was this platform, in addition to HungryGoWhere, that provided some ideas for Heartland Boy as he ordered special treats for his mother and mother-in-law to celebrate Mother’s Day. Moreover, even as we exit the Circuit Breaker, you might be ordering a few more food deliveries because dining out is only allowed under Phase 2. Here are some deals to be used in conjunction with UOB Cards.
WhyQ Hawker Food Delivery (valid till 30 Nov 2020)
- New customers: $5 off with min. spend of $5 (Promo code: UOB5)
- Existing Customers: S$3 off with min. spend of S$20 (Promo code: UOB3OFF)
- Get another $3 credited into your account after completing your order if you use my referral code: d2a5b1 when signing up
- New customers: $5 off first 3 orders with min spend $15 (Promo code: UOB5NEW)
- Existing Customers: Get $6 off with min. spend of $30 (Promo Code: UOB+ first 3 letters of the month, eg: UOBMAY)
- FoodPanda sign-up link to get $8 off your next meal
Deliveroo (valid till 31 May 2020)
- New Customers: Get $4 off first 3 orders with min. spend of $12 (Promo Code: UOBNEW2020)
- Existing Customers: Get $4 off with min. spend of $12 (Promo Code: UOB4OFFMAY)
- Existing Customers: Get $6 off min. spend of $30, valid till 31 May 2020 (Promo Code: UOB6OFFMAY)
- For promo codes after May 2020, kindly google them
4. UOB Mighty App
Every first day of the month, UOB would release some Mighty Coupons that are available on a first-come-first-serve basis on the UOB Might App. As shown in Diagram 1, here are vouchers offering up to 50% discount on these food delivery platforms.
Diagram 1: Mighty coupons for May 2020
If you set a calendar reminder, you might just be fast enough to walk away with these Mighty Coupons. Unfortunately, Heartland Boy has never ever been fast enough to snatch these coupons to enjoy this fringe benefit of being a UOB Card holder.
5. Up to $300 Rebate Via SingSaver Promotion May 2020
Great news to those who does not have the UOB One Credit Card. SingSaver is offering you $300 cash rebate on your recurring bills if you meet the following criteria:
- Apply for the UOB One Credit Card via SingSaver (affiliate link) and follow the instructions carefully
- Be the first 50 successful applications per day during Promotion Period (26 May -1 Jun)
- Application approved by UOB latest by 30 June; and
- Successfully make transactions with any of the selected merchants listed in Diagram 2 for 3 consecutive months (Must be the same merchant, with your first transaction no latest by 31 July 2020, which Heartland Boy thinks is more than sufficient time to arrange for GIRO payment)
Cash rebate will be equivalent to the sum of your 3 transactions made to the same merchant, capped at $300. It will be credited by 31 Dec 2020. Not to worry, even if you miss out on (ii), i.e. being the first 50 daily applications, you would still receive $50 cash via PayNow provided the other conditions are met. Existing customers would receive $20 via PayNow. Diagram 3 is a summary of the cash rewards from SingSaver for this promotion running till 1 June.
Heartland Boy thinks that making recurring payments to the selected merchants is a fantastic way of ensuring that you meet the minimum $500 spend per qualifying month to qualify for the cashback and bonus interest for your UOB One Savings Account, provided that you are already subscribing to their services of course. So, hurry and sign up for this promotion by SingSaver before 1 June 2020!
*Note that this article contains referral links that goes to maintain the sustainability of this blog.